Tuesday, September 29, 2009

HW # 8 Comment to Aja's Video

Dear Aja,

Like my video, yours is also gripping stuff....not. The lighting was so dark that I couldn't really see your expression so you didn't seem as bored as I did in my video.

I think we both had the same reaction about how our time could have been better spent. The fact is that we use the computer for homework and information, and if we also use it for our down time, there is a whole lot of time that we are sitting and staring. I appreciate your honesty about saying that you might use the digital devices as a way of avoiding conversation that might take a little more effort, for example with your mother.

What you say about using the devices late into the night suggests an addiction that we all share.
I guess the challenge is to try to balance our lives with more live conversation, relating to people face to face, and, for me, getting outside into frest air and having physical exercise.


It's funny but I think that if we filmed ourselves reading a book, we wouldn't have the same reaction as we have had to our videos of ourselves looking looking at computers. For one thing, you can get more comfortable reading a book and somehow there is the idea that reading a book is a very positive thing that exercises the imagination. Reading material on a computer shouldn't be all that different, but it certainly looks different. We don't look like such zombies (I looked more zombyish than you did).

No comments:

Post a Comment