Sunday, October 4, 2009

HW # 9 - Video Project GHIJK for Julie

Thank you for your very nice comment on my video, despite the fact that it was anything but scintilating. I know how utterly bored you must have been watching me watch a computer screen, as far from an oscar worthy performance as it gets.

Your comment about suggesting that I try to balance the time I spend with technology the way my brother does really did give me something to think about. I thought about how I am actually to a certain extent quite selfish with the way I spend my time. My life is so scheduled with soccer, dance, and school that I don't know when I would fit in community service. On occasion I help out the younger players in the soccer academy, and that is a pretty satisfying experience.

I also really thought about your comment that "the digital world is making everything seem so fake." It's ironic isn't it that the newer and newer generations of video games try to make the experience as realistic as possible. But, it never can be a "real" experience. There is something to be said for these games. When I play FIFA 09, I am constantly learning new tactics and skills that I can apply to my real life game.

The idea of having balance in your life I think means having mental and physical activity and also having fun and having time for others. Some people get too much physical activity (yours truly), but many technology fanatics don't get nearly enough.

I think we are both saying in our own ways that we need to keep our use of technology in perspective in order achieve that "balance" that we seem to crave. Is it even possible for a person to achieve that "balance" in their life? What would be your definition of "absolute balance?"

Thanks, Devin

No comments:

Post a Comment